From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of clay via
Mercedes
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:20 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Cc: clay
Subject: [MBZ] Wut I dun Lernt frum Wulding this week

It has been a week of dragging my butt outside in the heat and playing with
the flux core welding gun.  In that time I have gained some perspective on
just how much work making a decent weld is.

At first I was just banging about with the gun and burning through wire and
sheet metal.  It was really nasty, but I got a feel for the machine and the
gun.  Having the old brake rotor to play with allowed me to get comfortable
that I could lay down a good bead, but it seemed only on a heavy bit of
iron, not something thin, like what I need to know so I can repair the
rusted and rotted out floors in the 300D.  SO, zapping thick metal is eazy
peezy and most any monkey can do that.

I also found that flux core is not good to try to start and stop.  It took
me a bit to understand that the slag and cruft impedes a good weld, so you
need to clean the prior muck before you go at it again.  Getting it back to
bare metal would let the new bead adhere and flow instead of spattering out
pellet of micro death all over the world.  Flux is great for outdoor work,
which the car repair will be.  No need to worry the wind is blowing my
shielding gas away and the air flow also will make the toxic fumes move away
from the work.  That is a plus.

The HF welding toy is very basic and binary.  You have either BIG amp or
small amp button and a spastic wire feed control.  The little graphic under
the hood tells you if you need BIG or small and what wire speed for what
thickness of metal.  It lies and is very optimistic when dealing with thin
sheet metal.  At least if you expect to be laying down a continuous bead.  I
could not keep from blowing through the metal and having bad welds at the
0.5 wire speed (0-9 range) the graphic depicts.  I up the speed and it still
blows out, but at least the wire feeds.  The slow speed would not put out
wire dependably.

The solution to that was to not try to make a bead, but to just put a bunch
or tacks all over the piece and then go back and put some more next to the
last ones.  Refer to cleaning the old slag above, and my attempts were more
successful.  That took a long time to figure out.  It also stopped the blow
outs, warpage and other troubles that build up of excess heat was causing.
Go slowly with lots of stitches from quick little spots of heat.  What I
also garnered from this learning curve was that the really hefty copper
welding heat sink could suck calories out of the work.  I do not have enough
hands to hold that and the gun, but it was eye opening.

I am fairly certain all this information was provided by Grant a week ago,
but seeing it with ones own eyes drives it home.  Much of my practice metal
has been dead computer cases.  It had a plethora of coatings, and even some
of the metal I picked up at the scrap store had a film.  For a very good end
product, you need a VERY clean work surface.  Initially, the wire wheel and
grinder elbow grease I applied was not enough to really give me a clean,
bare surface.  I thought it looked bare, but it was not.  SHINY metal is a
clean, bare surface.  No shine, not clean, no good welds will come.  All the
youtube videos and written explanations did not get that to sink in.  Seeing
it in action was the key.

The current steep learning curve involves welding sheet metal to a thicker L
bit.  The heavy L is rather solid and flat.  The body panels I need to tack
it and weld to are not so flat.  Gaps and uneven contact are not making for
a good weld.  I am still on the learning bench, not in actual car process.
The sheet metal is 18 gauge, the L is 1/8 to 3/16.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
1995 E300D - Gave her life to save me against a Dame in a SUV POS 1987 SDL -
Beware Nigerian Scammers