Good report on your progress.

Welding 1/8th stock [.125 thousands thick] to 18 gage [55.5555 thousands
thick] is a serious challenge for beginner..

The first problem you will have is to get enough weld heat on the .125
stock to penetrate without destroying the 55.5555 material with that much
heat.

Now it's time for development of hand eye coordination.. Start the arc on
the heavy material first, then "flow" the weld puddle into the light
material, then get out of the weld..
Good contact between the heavy metal and the light metal is absolutely
critical. If there is a gap... you will stay in the weld joint to long
trying to stack up liquid metal to fill the gap.. which will heat transfer
to the lighter metal and burn through it.. quickly.

Set up some practice pieces with the thicknesses and work with them.. it
will come to you.