I can identify with this.  While I like my S430, it’s completely soulless
compared to earlier models.  Other than the hood star there is nothing, and I
mean nothing, that makes it stand out among other cars.

As for crap I can’t say, as I haven’t had any issues with mine so far (knock on
Zebrano or whatever it is they have in them now.)  Mine was pretty well gone
over by the previous owner and any issues addressed, so it’s in good working
order with the exception of the parking brake, who’s release cable is screwed
up somehow.  I’ve been under the drive’s side dash twice to investigate, but
for the life of me I can’t get close to the darned thing, there’s so much crap
in the way.  I’m just living with it, as much as it pains me.

The car does run well and gets god gas mileage considering the size and weight.
 I pretty much get 20+ MPG a tank with about 50-50 mixed city/highway driving.
It’s comfortable and has all the appurtenances you would expect in an S-class.
It’s just not unique in any sense of the word.  It might as well be a Ford
Taurus in some respects.

Dan