I've heard that before on this list, but I use it on locks and everything else
since it first came on the market and have no problems. WD-40 contains a very
light oil and probably leaves a little residue, but how many of the millions of
people who use WD-40 have problems with that residue? If a mechanical part has
a very tight fit I can see how someone "could" have a problem with WD-40
residue. WD-40 started out as a water dispersant for missile nose cones but
quickly became the very popular solvent/lubricant it is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Modern industrial society may not be possible without WD-40 which seems to have
an infinite number of uses. Here are only a few of them:

    Attract fish. When sprayed on fishing bait, WD-40 covers up the scent of
human hands on the bait to better lure fish, according to USA Today. The WD-40
Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but
prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based
product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.

    Cure Mange. While spraying a dog with WD-40 gets rid of parasitic mites,
according to USA Today, the WD-40 Company, feeling that the potential misuse of
the product is too great, refuses to condone using WD-40 to cure mange on
animals.

    Prevent squirrels from climbing into a birdhouse. Spray WD-40 on the metal
pole or wires.

    Remove a ring stuck on a finger. Several medical journals claim that WD-40
is the perfect cure for a toe stuck in the bathtub faucet, a finger stuck in
soda bottle, or a ring stuck on a finger.

    Remove chewing gum, crayon, tar, and Silly Putty from most surfaces. Spray
on WD-40, wait, and wipe.

    Zipper won't zip? WD-40 will let it zip again.

    Clean decorative snow from windows. Spray windows with WD-40 before
spraying with artificial snow so the decorative spray will wipe off easier.

    Prevent dead insects from sticking to your car. Spray WD-40 on the hood and
grill so you can wipe bugs off easily without damaging the finish.

    Make hangers glide over a clothes rod. Spray WD-40 on the clothes rod so
hangers can be pushed back and forth easily.

    Clean clogged spray paint can nozzles. Remove the nozzles from the spray
paint can and the WD-40 can, place the nozzle from the spray paint can on the
WD-40 can, give it a couple of quick squirts, and replace both nozzles.

    Remove oil spots from driveways. Spray with WD-40, wait, then blot. The
mineral spirits and other petroleum distillates in WD 40 work as a curing agent.

    Thread electrical wire through conduits. Spray WD-40 on the electrical wire
to help it glide through winding conduits.

    Prevent grass clippings from clogging up a lawn mower. Spray WD-40 on the
underside of lawn mower housing and blade before cutting the grass.

    Clean sap from gardening equipment. Spray with WD-40, wait, and wipe clean.

    Prevent mud and clay build-up on bicycles. Spray the bicycle with a thin
coat of WD-40.

    Remove baked-on food from a cookie pan. Spray WD-40 on cookie pan and wipe
clean. Then wash with soap and water.

    Remove dirt and grime from barbecue grills. Remove the grill from the
barbecue, spray with WD-40, wait, and wipe clean. Then wash with soap and water.

    Remove chewing gum from the bottom of a shoe or sneaker. Spray on WD-40,
wait, and pull the gum free.

    Keep dogs, maggots, and flies out of trash cans. Coat the trash cans with a
thin layer of WD-40.

    Take squeaks out of new shoes. Spray WD-40 into the leather and shine.

    Remove grease stains from linen. Spray WD-40 directly to the stain, rub it
in, let is soak for a few minutes, then wash through a regular cycle.

    Take squeaks out of a box spring mattress. Remove the fabric covering the
bottom of the box spring mattress (by simply removing the staples), and spray
the springs with WD-40. Staple the fabric covering back in place with a staple
gun.

     Clean crayon from a blackboard. Spray WD-40 on the crayon marks, let soak
for 10 minutes, then blot clean with a cloth.

    Free a tongue stuck to frozen metal in winter. Spray WD-40 on the metal
around the tongue.

Gerry