      From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 2:27 PM
 Subject: OT Jacks

When I jack the cottage to level it, it makes the 20 ton jacks work.
Last summer I bought a bunch of the big old screw jacks. 6 of them are
about 2 feet tall and I think I have 6 that are about 1 foot or a bit
more and thenI have 3 or 4 smaller ones.
The idea with these is that you can leave them in place and give them a
half turn every couple of weeks and slowly move a building back up where
it should be without much danger of tearing things apart or breaking glass.
There is an addition on the south side of my house sitting on a grade
beam on bell piles that has settled and I hope to raise it back up at
some point. Unfortunately, it has a crawl space that is not easy to get
into and I may have to cut a hole in the floor in the den in order to
gain sufficient access. When I built the addition, I left a small
opening and put a trap door in the floor of a closet. Big enough to get
in and out but not all that good for hauling in lumber to build a beam
to jack on. I would also have to cut the stucco on the exterior and find
and release the bolts or cut them so that the building could be slowly
lifted off of the grade beam and up where it should be. Then I would
need to fill the gap and restucco the outside. I would also have to cap
the poured doorsteps on both the east and west sides as they are part of
the gradebeam and are down too. Not too obvious now but if the house
were levelled, then the porches would be very obviously out of whack.
The addition is 10 feet wide and 30 feet long and 2 storeys high. It has
settled about 2 inches on the outer edge and 2 inches on 10 feet is
obvious when I walk from the original house into the new part. No
plumbing or kitchen or bath etc. so not too much to cause other issues.
I think that the pull on that side of the house has altered the whole
house as some of the doors in the original house do not stay open on
their own now etc. I think, that if it was slowly moved back where it
started, it should sort out most of the issues that have been created by
the fact that the addition settled. The house was built new in 1981 and
the addition added in 1987 so none of it is ancient.
That is why I acquired all of these jacks.

RB