      From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 3:38 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Jacks

On 07/08/2015 2:26 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
> Umm. I'd submit that either you don't have a very good jack (you're sure its
> a 20 ton and not a 2 ton? 2 ton bottle jack is maybe 3" in diameter, 20 ton
> is more like 6") or you've got a very heavy cottage.
> Maybe 13 years ago the floor in my grandmother's house was sagging really bad
> under the fridge. We cut a 6x8 hole in the floor and found a broken beam. We
> sistered 2x8s on to both sides and jacked both broken pieces into place, then
> ran bolts through the 2x8s and the other piece of beam, put another 2x8 under
> it and fashioned a post under that. All the jacking for that job was done
> with a 5 ton bottle jack since we couldn't find the 20. My grandmother's
> house is quite large, 2 stories with high ceilings, built around 1850 if I
> remember right. We weren't lifting the whole house on that job but the fridge
> backed up against an interior wall which had settled a bit more than an inch
> so we were lifting the interior of the house. You could also see some bow
> come out of the ceiling. That one we lifted over two days. Had to cordon off
> the hole in the floor lest somebody forget and stumble into it on the way to
> get a drink of water in the night.
> -Curt

Now, having said that the jacks I was using out at the lake were 20 ton,
I will admit that I did not try lifting the cottage with a smaller one.
I have a smaller hydraulic jack - maybe 8 ton that I used to carry
around in my 68 Chevy pickup because the original jack did not work and
it is out at the lake since we sold the truck.
I also have a 12 ton in a smaller hydraulic press here in the city that
I have offered to let my son take home but is still sitting in my garage.

How can you tell I am a pack-rat when it comes to tools???

RB