Once done, some Chinese outfit will be selling the equipment for cheepcheep, then it becomes another running battle. Just like all the other cracks, hacks, cloners, and whatever else to circumvent or get into various systems -- the electronic keys are big now, garage door openers, whatever.

I recall some years ago getting a cell phone bill (my work phone) for nearly $2k, calls all over the world, most to Mexico, from all over the US. I call the cell phone co, whoever it was, and ask WTF. They look into it, determine my (analog at the time) phone had been cloned and someone made clones and were probably selling time to make calls. Found out a few others at the company had the same thing done, turns out someone was probably sitting at a traffic light not far from the office, sniffing phones while people sat in the traffic making calls or pinging the towers or whatever. Equipment was fairly cheap even then (though probably not from China at that time). Now the cops have these devices that can spoof phones, acting like a cell node, and collect all kinds of stuff from them. I guess if you have a coupla $k you could buy one too.

--R