For mice, I have a five gallon metal kerosene can.

The dregs of a keg of beer get installed in the lower portion of the can, about
eight inches.  Mice will try to get in to enjoy the beer.  Rat size hole at the
top, slick side, deep enough that only the rats can touch bottom.  Mice lose
hope and become rat food while the rat pickles in the beer.  Slugs drop in as
well.

Feral cats who stalk my chickens find the pointy end of a .177 pellet injected
into their hind end.  Low pumps so not fatal, just painful.  Applied enough
times, the cat learns to avoid my place.

Squirrels are too stupid to catch on quickly, so end up on a crows dinner table.

clay