Roger,  My '79 TD had the rod arrangement but (not being a turbo) there was
no vacuum circuit for the transmission.

I have a paper 917.95 engine service manual that may have some clues (or
maybe not).  I found this vacuum diagram for a non EGR setup that may (or
may not) reflect your setup:  <http://pt709.synology.me/0.7.1.8-150_3.jpg>

I think the valve/cam-plate thing (on the right) is the vacuum engine stop
circuit in the key switch.  The vacuum control valve appears to have 3
ports.

That is quite different from the setup on my '82 SD where the vacuum control
valve only has two ports, the restrictor is external, and the transmission
vacuum modulator is on the left.  On my 82 SD vacuum to the transmission is
totally independent from the switchover valves (which only effect EGR).

This next diagram:  <http://pt709.synology.me/14.8-050_8.jpg> illustrates
the function of the switchover valve in the extended and depressed positions
and this diagram: <http://pt709.synology.me/14.8-050_4.jpg> shows the
internal workings of that valve.

The way I read the diagram, the tranny vacuum modulator gets full vacuum at
idle/low power but that vacuum gets modulated by the vacuum control valve at
higher power settings.

Of course, your '80 SD could be entirely different

Scott