Grand Junction?  Are you nuts?  He doesn’t want a nine month ski vacation.
Tell him what the temperatures were two-three months ago in your neighborhood.

Portland is nice, but lots of clouds and the granola folks.  Eastern Oregon is
pretty sparse but nice, as is eastern Washington state.

Understand that you’re talking about some pretty serious travel if you’re
covering an area like that.

As for cost of living, if you’re remotely close to a metropolitan area in
Washington, Oregon, Colorado, or California, your cost of living is going to be
significantly higher.  I’ll bet the job compensation doesn’t reflect that?

Eastern or southern Colorado would be nice and probably just as affordable as
where you are now.  However, it’s pretty damned rural, but I’m not sure how
that compares to where you are now.  Mao and Craig have lived in those parts,
but I don’t think it’s recent for either one, so their information might be a
bit dated.

How’s about Albuquerque, NM?  Good location, probably a decent cost of living.

If you’re going to be covering an area of that size you would just about have
to live near a major airport I would expect.

Dan