Mark Minasi, (windows server guru, and serial author) recommended using a passphrase, not a password, and that the phrase should have at least 14 characters. He claims that a brute force attack on that trying various passwords incrementally will take years (without using numbers or $p3c1al characters.) Using some numbers and special characters adds very little to the time to crack when you have 14 character length.

On Active Directory, I just set the requirements to 14 characters and turned off the others. We had successful ph ishing attacks a couple of times on win XP users, but nobody ever cracked a password. On one new server that was set up by the "experts" they left it wide open to the internet with a simple password (short) so they could easily remote into it. The first thing we did when they left was to change the password to a 14 character passphrase. Within 24 hours, someone was hammering on it trying to break the user name/pas sword. We figured out it was from one of the northern territories formerly controlled by Crazy Uncle Jozef (Stall in). We let them play for a few days but eventually grew tired of watching their failures, so we closed the access except for a couple of IP addresses. That ended that.

I wouldn't change email address, just increase the complexity of your email
account password.  I like "diceware" for picking complex passwords.

Get three dice (or use a random number generator) and a paper dictionary.
Roll the dice, open dictionary to corresponding page.  Pick the first 4 or
5 letter word on that page.  Repeat until you have three or four words.
String them together, mix in upper and lower case, replace letters with
numbers or special characters.  Add some punctuation, and voila, a password
that no brute force attack will penetrate in this century.

When I sit down with the dictionary and pick words, I fill up a sheet with
strings of three words, and then rotate through those as needed.

I recommend you write down your new password, unless your memory is better
than mine.

If your email provider will allow two-factor authentication for password
changes, that would also be helpful.

Max
Charleston SC

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>