Migration Assistant will let you choose what to move over to the new drive.
That’s apps, data, etc.  You mentioned having a Time Machine backup as well.
You could invoke Time Machine to restore everything as well, if you chose to.

The problem with having all your stuff on the old hard drive is that there are
no pointers to it on the new SSD.  Using Migration Assistant would do that for
you.  You could also go in and create alias’, but that get tricky real quick.

Understand that when you create a new boot drive that there are things that
have to live there for the system to work properly.

This is a good explanation of the home folder (which is really your user name,
not “home”):

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-home-folder-in-os-x-yosemite.html

Once you have everything set up, you can move your home folder to the other
drive, taking a lot of stuff off of the SSD.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164891/keeping_mac_os_and_data_on_separate_drives.html

Dan