I can reseat the memory, I had to remove it to do the drive installs, it seemed to go in OK. I have had that memory for a coupla years, 4 sticks 12GB, never any issues but maybe messing with it got it buggered.

I installed the OS from the DVD. Is the 10.6.8 a full install or just updates somehow? I can download it onto a USB stick and try to upgrade/install from it. I'll probably do that anyway to get the file, plug the laptop into the router with a cable to bypass the wifi and the router's issues.

It bombed off the 10.6.8 download, now the machine appears to have gone to sleep and won't wake up, rebooting again...

I'm wondering if I should reformat and start over, put the OS on the HDD and TM everything to it instead of the SSD/HDD to see if that makes any difference.

--R