I think there's some confusion in the wording here.

You say "divide my Mac" yet you address a need for a user account that has
write privileges on the machine.

If you need a guest account that has write privileges, simply log in under
whatever account you have administrative rights with, go to the "Users and
Groups" preference pane, and create a new "regular" user (one without admin
rights).  That account will be able to create files and save them to their home
folder on the machine.

Now....

If you want to create a completely separate partition on the hard drive for use
by another user, yes, that would require partitioning of the hard drive.

Considering that the permission structure on Macs is pretty robust, I'm not
sure why one would make the effort to set up another partition for a user's
storage. That's mighty extreme and not a good use of real estate.

Dan

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 1:45 PM, astrasfogel--- via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
>  As a matter of fact, this isn't a trivial question. My son did this for me
> on another iMac, and he had to partition the hard drive. Sent from my
> T-Mobile 4G LTE device
> ------ Original message------From: Curt Raymond via MercedesDate: Tue, Dec
> 15, 2015 1:22 PMTo: Mercedes Discussion List;Cc: Curt Raymond;Subject:Re:
> [MBZ] OT: How to divide my IMac
> Open the system preferences, either from the icon in the doc or the apple
> menu in the upper left.Then open your favorite web browser, type
> www.google.com in the address bar, in the Google window type in "how do I
> make a new mac user".Sheesh, do you need help to find the bathroom? You've
> got a world of instructions out there, don't make people hold your hand like
> you're 4, learn to do for yourself once in awhile.-Curt      From: Andrew
> Strasfogel  To: Curt Raymond ; Mercedes Discussion List   Sent: Tuesday,
> December 15, 2015 12:56 PM Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: How to divide my IMac
> Nope.  How do I access Users and Groups?On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM,
> Curt Raymond via Mercedes  wrote:Is this a trick question?The Users & Groups
> system preference would be the obvious place. Also obviously you can't be
> logged in as guest to make the change.-Curt      From: Andrew Strasfogel via
> Mercedes  To: Mercedes Discussion List Cc: Andrew Strasfogel  Sent: Tuesday,
> December 15, 2015 11:59 AM Subj
 ect: [MBZ] OT: How to divide my IMacI have a Macbook Pro and IMac desktop .
Each has a guest login thatdoesn't allow the guest to save data or files when
logging out - the workmust be abandoned.  How can I create a second user rather
than a "guest" sothat they can log in independently and keep/save their work
when they
logout?_______________________________________http://www.okiebenz.comTo search
options go
to:http://mail.okiebenz.com/mailman/listinfo/mercedes_okiebenz.com_______________________________________http://www.okiebenz.comTo