From: dave walton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 11:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Truckers fight biodiesel mandate

How do you come up with $1.75 given the current spot price of Refined Soy
Oil? Futures are even worse.

-Dave Walton

On 2/5/06, Lee Levitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mitch writes:

> You seem to think that the price of bio stays constant while
> the price of dino goes up. Three years ago, bio was $1.70
> while dino was $1.40, both fully taxed. One might have
> thought demand for bio would go through the roof when dino
> hit $2.50, but it's not happening.

Biodiesel is completely supply constrained. Until that's fixed it's going to
be a fringe fuel. Once the Big Guys can count on quality and quantity,
you'll see it regularly at truck stops.

Then we'll see how closely the price tracks dino. There's no reason why it
should, except that it can.

The true cost of B99 at the pump, factoring in manufacturing costs,
transportation, fuel taxes and credits, is in the neighborhood of $1.75.
Anything over that is pure profit. If diesel goes to $4/gallon, the only
thing that will increase the price of B99 is the greediness of those
distributing it.

B100, by the way, comes in at $2.75. There's a $.99/gallon tax credit for
cutting it to B99. Your tax dollars at work.

Lee
'93 300D 2.5L 182K