Rear windows and front windows are completely different in their operation, I
believe.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't had to deal with
windows in a W140 sedan, other than the rear.

Fronts, I believe, are the typical "scissors" type of regulator. Rear windows
use a cable and pulley setup that seems prone to fail by design.

If the rear window(s) is/are acting up, he's best off to leave them alone. The
most common failure I have seen usually involves the cable coming off the guide
roller at the bottom or the roller itself breaking into pieces and the cable
gets caught in the mechanism.

Tell him to keep the windows up until summer.

Based on the limited information, I don't think you have electrical issues, I
think you have mechanical issues with the windows themselves.

Dan

Sent from my iPad