I just did this job on the Golf and parts were around $450 but I went with new
calipers ($104 each) and didn't do the hoses ($50 each!) so with labor I'm
going to guess $500 even.
-Curt

      From: Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 2:31 PM
 Subject: [MBZ] Big contest

I will send a prize to whoever guesses closest to the price I will be
paying to replace the entire rear brake system in my 1983 300TD.  This is
for parts AND labor.

I finally drove over to my indy to diagnose the horrible screeching braking
noise on my white 1983 300TD wagon.  A trip up his lift showed that BOTH
rear calipers had seized up with a few days of each other, resulting in
shot rotors and (of course) pads.  The rear hoses were also in need of
replacement, since they were quite "original", and not in a good way.

Because of the urgency of the work, I did not have the luxury of ordering
from a low priced internet catalog, e.g., Autohaus.  I relied on local
parts chain stores for all the components (e.g., Napa, Advance and the
like).  The tech charges his labor sort of by the job, but roughly $85/hr.

Rules:  Contest ends at midnight on Wednesday 3/9/16.  Minimum bid
separation is $10.  Winner is whoever gets closest to the actual amount for
parts + labor (above or below).  You may break down the various components
of your final estimate to illustrate how your final guess was derived.

To summarize:

Parts - rear brake pads, 2 rear hoses, 2 rear rotors, L and R rebuilt
caliper
Labor - cost to install these parts

Prize winner will receive choice of home made jalapeno or habanero pepper
jelly, applesauce, or cranberry applesauce.  Apples locally grown in my new
front yard.

Andrew, spreading largesse.