Scott sez: Let me see if I have this right: The old 61x iron heads develop many cracks
but they still function OK and the glow plugs come out in one piece.  The
new, improved 60x aluminum heads have fewer cracks but those cracks are
fatal and the glow plugs may be terminally stuck.  Is that right?

nope Close on the iron heads. apples and oranges mixed up on the aluminum heads.

 The old 61x iron heads develop many cracks
but they still function OK most of the time, and the glow plugs come out in one piece. In the 60s, many oron 4 cyl heads cracked. THis experience led to better design and better metalllurgy in the OM616 and 617 heads so that they rarely develop a fatal crack. I believe a 616 head can be bolted to an OM621 engine, but have never verifired the passages line up. A 621 with 616 pistons, rings and head would be an awesome engine for an old Dissel.

The
new, improved 603 aluminum heads have fewer cracks but those cracks are
now seldom fatal and the glow plugs come out in one piece.

THe OM606 has very long skinny glow plugs that are famous for lasting a long time, and then bond chemically the steel with the aluminum head. THese glow plugs can get expensive to replace as ofthen the head has to come off to change GPs. However this is often at or beyond 200k miles.

What was Dave M's quote about rejecting an OM603 because of a possibility of head cracks?