Curt,

I've got a 16V 5 speed 201 and for reverse I need to lift and move to upper left position. 1st is lower left with NO lift. Don't know if this pattern is unique to the 16V.

My trans got stuck in 3rd on Thursday...... So yesterday I replaced all the rubber bushings (dime size) on the shifter/shifter rod connections. The part number is 210-992-00-10. You need 3. At the forward connection of the shifter rods to the transmission, there are also larger bushings (quarter size) that may be worn/dried out. That part number is 000-992-10-10 and again, 3 are needed. One more thing is that the clips which hold the bushings onto the rods may have lost their tension. I replaced them. Part number - 000-994-41-60.

Not expensive stuff.

Hope this helps

Chuck
Phoenix AZ