Curt Raymond wrote:
'85 190D 2.2l 5spd manual shift
I can't get it into reverse, I push to the right and down on the shifter and can't go back to reverse. I can go forward into 5th but not back. SOMETIMES it'll consent and with a little clang go back. I presume that whatever gets adjusted when I push down isn't getting adjusted any more but I don't know enough about it. When its not working it feels like reverse just isn't there, like you're trying to shift into nothing. I called my Indy yesterday but he wasn't in. I'm hoping this is something simple... So far I've been parking on hills but I'm going to get caught I know it.

If the shift levers' bushings are worn, getting into reverse is the first problem you'll have and it will be worst when it's cold! The bushings cost about $1 each, but putting them in is a challenge - at least the first time.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi