I commuted 4 hr each way for about 5 yrs. I called where I stayed a line shack. You can stay in an old camper trailer, a shipping container or the back of a van or pickup of you want to save money. Universities have lots of PE/Rec buildings with (free) showers if you have digs without a shower. Or for $10 a month you can join planet fitness and shower there.

For line shacks I used motel rooms, my parents' house, the attic of a commercial building, a room in an office and probably some places I forgot.

It is not fun, but it is not that bad.

For 6 months I commuted 5 hours each way, which included a bus trip to the airport, a flight, getting a rentacar, driving. Then on Friday, the reverse. My line shack was a run down motel with lots of 747s (roaches) but it had a bed, a shower a little refer and a toaster oven. Later I rented and aframe house that was 30 miles away.

Long before that, I'd go to shows and flea markets and sell stuff. For that, I'd sleep in the back of the 74 datsun pickup.

First, "still within easy driving distance" is not going to happen in the
DFW area. Second, no Okie would willingly move to texas. Third, that 4-5
hour drive to/from the ranchito will get old fast. You'll need to budget
for that PPL and an airplane - cuts the travel time down to 21Ž2 hours. Just
move close to (if not on) an airport/airpark. Of course, then you'd trade
the MB habit for an aircraft one (more expensive).