From: Mercedes <mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com> on behalf of Greg Fiorentino via
Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 22 April 2016 19:18
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Cc: Greg Fiorentino
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - 3D Printing

I have been looking at 3D printers for a while now. IMO the technology has
matured to the point where the printers are practical, easy enough to use,
and reasonably cheep-cheep. There is an open-source design called Makerbot
that has been cloned by several companies. One is coming to my door today
made by Qidi Tech and sold by Amazon. It has 2 extruders and is capable of
using several different materials including PLA, ABS, various varieties of
nylon, and most any thermoplastic with a melting point below 280 C.
Properties such as strength, appearance, and ease of use depend on which
material is used. Many ready-to-print files are available at
thingiverse.com, and files can be compiled by (free) makerbot software from
sketchup files.

The work envelope is about 6" X 6" x 9". It can print with a resolution down
to 0.1 mm, but some plastics can be surface-smoothed after printing to a
better finish by sanding or treatment with acetone.

If any of you are interested I'll update you on results.

Greg