I'd bet the engine runs fine. It was at very high rev for only very short time - maybe 5 seconds or so. I was reaching for key to turn it off immediately as I stopped. I was still holding brake on HARD to try to tame it, but my foot must have been askew on the pedal so that I was pressing on accelerator, too.

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Buggered Benzmail" <buggeredbenzm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] NC mini Q

I got to thinking that it was never opened given how the latch pin was bent and the latch still intact, never could have got it together like that closing it. $20 HF recip saw cut right through it though, "soft" steel which also deformed but stayed intact. Good German chinee steel and engineering!

It is rather impressive, the hit was just in front of the left front wheel and pushed the left front fender/frame over maybe 6-8" while the RF is pushed over maybe 3". The engine looks moved asunder laterally a coupla inches too, will have to look to see if nothing is broken in there but probably just the frame deformation. Looks like the LF strut top was pushed off the upper fender mount, hence the LF wheel knocked over. Wheel/tire is fine, just the strut mount, looks like Max has a good set of spares. The PS pump/reservoir was broken from the front sheet metal hitting it but nothing else behind looks affected. The oil cooler is broken off and one line sheared. We were hoping the engine is OK in that it did not run long without oil as there is none on the dipstick. probably fine, Max is going to get some oil and bypass the cooler and get it going to make sure.

Nothing behind the firewall is deformed, I guess that is the design for the front to crush/deform leaving the passenger pod intact. In any case, somewhat impressive. Maybe we can just cut off the front, find another clip, and get the welder going...

I'll take some pics later and send them along.

Wilton if it is some consolation, even if you had been 0.1 second/4ft earlier getting in front of the idiot blowing the red light, you would have been well-protected in that car. Maybe a bit banged up but it clearly could have taken a more direct hit without compromising the pass compartment too much. That is why we drive Benzes, it did its job.

--BB