And sometimes a bit salty

--JC

On 6/4/16 1:40 PM, Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
I wish I could narrate like you. Your prose is like pemmican - all nutrition, no filler.

This is meant to be a compliment, BTW.

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Joel Cairo via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>> wrote:

    When we bought our house in Melrose (outside of Boston) it was a
    complete wreck.  The old Irish couple had 9 or 10 kids of their
    own and had kept 20some foster kids over the years. They were all
    pretty much losers.  4 or 5 of them were still living in the house
    with them, 18-31yo.  The daughter, who was a real prize, lived in
    an upstairs back bedroom with a piece of plywood hinged at the top
    for a door, like a dog door.  Ol Frank had warned us she was up
    there when we went to look at the house, "She's a f'n pig" was how
    he described her.  Nice. (He was correct BTW)

    So anyway we buy the place, I knew what I was getting in to, would
be a good fixer-upper, good price for the town and neighborhood. So we do the closing one afternoon, it is a stormy day,
    thunderstorms and raining hard.  Frank tells us that one of the
    kids left some furniture on the front porch, will pick them up in
    a day or two.  Fine.  Frank and his prize wife (who could peel
    paint with her screeching) got a small apt nearby, out from under
    the kids finally after 35 years or whatever.

    So we get to the house, raining like hell.  Walk onto the
    (closed-in) front porch, and there is a kid passed out on a
    couch.  hmmmm.  So I go over and kick the couch, trying to stir
    him up, no motion.  Do that a couple more times, shake him by the
    shoulder, nothing.  Holy shiite we are thinking the kid has ODed
    and is dead or something but he finally starts to stir, his eyes
    open and the pupils are blown, very clearly high as a kite.  We
    keep trying to stir him, he finally sits up and looks around,
    kinda woozie and unstable, then manages to stand and stumble out
    into the storm and off down the street.  OK, Frank left the
    youngest there, no place to go.  Nice.

    We go inside and some of his crap is in there, sleeping bag and a
    few clothes and a candle, he had managed to climb into a window
    and was camping out.  I put all of it on the porch, I guess they
    came and got it the next day or two.  Never saw that kid, but
    Frank had owned the cab company in town for quite awhile until the
    kids ran it into the ground (and took a brand new cab to a lake in
    NH to go ice fishing, the cab crashed through the ice and sunk),
    but the oldest one, who was actually sorta decent, still drove a
    cab and he would take me to the airport occasionally and I would
    get stories about Frank and the fam from him which were always
    entertaining.  He had no idea what had happened to the one left
    behind.

    --JC