Dan wrote:
> How long did it take to get to Newport via 101?  That’s a heck of a drive.
>
> Sort of like the time I was in LA and thought it would be cool to drive the
> 101 all the way to SFO.

I didn't care about time.  We visited nephew/cousin in Palo Alto and
stayed overnight then drove through SFO somehow.  FtBragg at 7pm and
then 101 heads east somehow up there.  Very dark and we pulled off the
side of the road in the tall forest to sleep, large trucks passing.  I
think we were in Newport about mid afternoon.  It was a fun trip.  I
enjoyed the slow speed many curves back inland to cross the drainages.
I would do it again and stop more often to see memorable scenery.  We
were through Yellowstone the first open Saturday of the season, saw
snow and dirt roads on US20 in OR.  Learned about forest fire damage
and idiocy of housing development in the forest - not unlike
floodplain developmen - also stupid.  Had to detour down US395 back to
CA and enjoyed eastern OR - nice, desolate.  Very few rest areas but
we found one somewhere south of Riley and were the only vehicle there
overnight, no facilities, slept in car.  US395 = nice!
mao