In an article from the June, 2016 issue of "The Family Handyman",  entitled "10
Things You Should Know About Gasoline", author /"expert" Fred Walas, fuels
technology manager for Marathon Petroleum Company, a 34 year veteran in the
refinery business, whose current job includes work with the EPA, other oil
companies, and automobile manufacturers developing new fuel standards, posits
question number four:" Is a major-brand gas better then a lesser known brand?"
(I do believe that is the longest sentence I have ever typed).

His answer is that  20 years ago, there was a difference between gas from the
majors and "cheap " gas from no-name stations. He claims that today the biggest
difference between gasoline brands is the type of fuel cleaning additives used.
He goes on to say that that the EPA mandates a minimal level of fuel system
cleaning additives and all gasoline sold in the U.S. must meet those levels.

Although he does not specifically answer the posited question, the implication
is that there is no substantial difference between the majors and off brands.

Now comes an article in "CNN Money" stating that AAA  claims  that "cheap
off-brand gasoline is bad for engines"

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/08/autos/aaa-cheap-gasoline/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_NewsAndBuzz_pool

At the risk of starting a "gas war", I'd like to hear from our M-B  community.
Looking forward to lots of comments.

Jerry

1982 240D

other gasoline powered cars