I don't really have a point of reference on this, as this is the first French
door fridge we have owned. I suspect it takes space from the fridge.

Dan

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 9, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> I wondered what the deal was with these small 2nd drawer between the top frig
> and the freezer.  From what I am seeing the ones that have dual ice makers do
> not have this drawer, the ones that have it only have the bottom freezer.
> Does the 2nd drawer take away from upper frig space?
>
>> On 7/9/2016 4:23 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
>> When we moved into this house in 2011 we bought a French door fridge by
>> Maytag. The one thing we wanted was a drawer between the fridge and freezer
>> section. These are great for beverages and other stuff that you access
>> regularly so you're not opening the main fridge.
>>
>> I think ours is around 24 cubic feet and we bought it as a floor model close
>> out for around $1700. It normally sold for around $2100.
>>
>> As for the icemaker, it makes plenty of ice but with guests in the house or
>> a big demand it won't keep up. As this isn't a regular issue, we just grab a
>> bag of ice and put it in the big upright freezer we have in the garage.
>>
>> I didn't think I would like the lower freezer drawer setup, but it works
>> well and stores a fair amount of stuff.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Jul 9, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes
>>> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Our current refrigerator is a Whirlpool side by side stainless. With these
>>> side by sides there never seems to be enough room.  Also, the ice maker in
>>> it will hold enough ice to fill up my big thermos water jug that I use when
>>> working outside on car lots. If I end up having to work outside more than 1
>>> day in a row the ice maker will not fill back up by the next morning
>>> between using all of the ice in the morning and whatever is used in the
>>> house during the day. Usually by the time I get home in the afternoon it
>>> has filled about half way back up, then we use ice in the evening using
>>> most of what was made, then in the morning it is filled about half way back
>>> up again. After a couple of days I really do not have enough ice to fill up
>>> my jug.  So this leads me to start looking at these new french door
>>> refrigerators with the slide out freezer in the bottom. I am most
>>> interested in one that has dual ice makers, they have one in the door and
>>> one in the bottom freezer.  We do not use bulk
  ice that often but when we need it, it would be great to have it.  In my
little bit of research I am tending to lean toward Samsung or LG. The
Whirlpool/Maytag/GE seems like they are way more expensive than what you can
get from LG/Samsung.  Anybody have any refrigerator experience they would like
to share?  Online reviews seem to be no help really.  Any website I find seems
to be an advertisement for 1 brand or the other.  Also, Lowes seems to be
having a massive sale that lasts a few more days.