It would mostly depend on how the house is laid out. if it is fairly open I would do like a 24kBTU unit with 2x12k heads, put one in the living area and one in the bedroom. If you have 2 bedrooms you would probably want to get 3 head units which might kick the outdoor unit up to 27k BTU. My 4-head unit (which is currently dead, I think the control board has fried) is a 36k outdoor unit.

Here is an LG with 3x9k head units, 27k outdoor unit https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-Air-Conditioners/LMU24CHV-LSN090HSV4-LSN090HSV4-LSN090HSV4-27000-BTU-21-Seer-Heat-Pump/52414.ac?catId=cat1035&mainCat=&subCat=&trail=1004:LG

The units throttle output so that is the max they would be putting out, 27k or 36k would probably be quite sufficient though in your climate you might need some backup heat for when it gets REALLY cold up there -- they don't have heat strips like the air blowing units.

--R

On 7/17/16 6:23 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Our house is 900sqft, what would you figured we'd need in a mini-split to
replace the wall mount AC we've got now? The wall mount cools the house fine,
I'm planning for when it dies.
We're pretty well insulated, once I get the roof replaced we'll even up that
some more.
-Curt

       From: Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Mitch Haley <mi...@mitchellhaley.com>
  Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2016 5:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Home AC Question
On July 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

  It’s about 93F, humidity is near saturation at 78%, and the heat index is in
the 102F range. 100% sun exposure on the roof surface.

The AC will run continuously from now until about 6:00 pm when the sun dips
below the treeline of the adjacent lot. It will maintain the 74F setpoint and
the temperature won’t go above that.

So based on what you describe the system is working as intended and at or near
peak efficiency.

Yep, it sounds like perfect design performance on a design afternoon.
When you think it's too old, or when it quits, replace it with a 4 ton,
preferably two stage condenser. Fortunately, up here in the frosty North, I've
had about 5 cooling design afternoons all summer, and design temp is only for
2-3 hours a day.
And my house is enough smaller / better shaded / better insulated than yours
that I have no idea how hot it would have to get to make my 1.5 Ton unit run
100% duty cycle. Design afternoons are close to 50% duty.

Mitch.

--BB