Myers irrigation pump, 1.0 HP, I think it is the HJ model.  It's about 15
years old now, sits underneath the back porch so sheltered from the sun and
rain, but dirt/dust falls on it through the porch floor gaps between the
2-x-4's.  It actually looks remarkably good (on the outside) for living 15
years in the hot and humid climate we enjoy so much, with frequent
temperature changes (well water is about 64 degrees) and lots of
condensation during operation.

It's been performing quite nicely so far this year, won't loose prime
sitting unused for days and days after I replaced the seals last year.
Yesterday the breaker for it had tripped, reset that and while standing by
the breaker panel a fair distance from the pump so I could not hear
anything, breaker trips again after about 10-15 seconds.  I disconnect the
pump and reset the breaker to make sure nothing else on the line was the
cause, breaker holds so I connect the pump briefly and it is silent, like
the motor is locked up.  I try again, and it squeals this time, so
disconnect and take the cover off the back to rotate it by hand.  It
rotates just fine, maybe a little more resistance than the motor by itself
but nothing notable, so I connect it again and it runs for bit (less than a
minute) and then trips the breaker.

Disconnect pump, reset breaker, momentary connections of power to pump
don't trip breaker, so I let it run longer and longer and then full out for
about two or three minutes, and no more breaker tripping.  Finish watering
SWMBO's flower beds, move on to next thing.

I'm thinking that the electric motor is getting tired, or could this be a
switch / controller thing?  It has a pressure switch to cycle it on and off
as needed during operation.