Typically, a failed starting capacitor or centrifugal switch will make it buzz
or hum on starting (or attempting to start) and the motor won’t spin up.
“Helping” it turn will get it going.

This is especially common when the motor is starting under load, such as in a
pump.

Find the capacitor and with it disconnected put an ohmmeter across the
terminals to see if it charges.  Reverse the leads and it should discharge.
This is where an analog meter is helpful as with a digital meter (unless it’s
the type with a bar graph) it won’t sample fast enough to see the
charge/discharge occur.

Dan