Since I've never seen your Rental Contract, I'm only supposing it would
have a clause which clearly defines actions should the Renter default on
the required payment.

In my Rental Contract it clearly says, ALL RECOVERY COSTS necessary to
collect payments past due SHALL be payable and due to the Company. And it
sets a time line for when payment is past due, the penalty added for past
due, and defines such things as process service, court cost, and legal fees.

If your contract doesn't have that "fine print" you've not been served well
by it.
I suggest a new contract for all future rentals.