I would agree that you could approach them directly and make nice, but knowing
human nature, the line has been crossed and they‘ve fired the first shot across
the bow, so to speak.

It’s a significant sign of weakness, no matter what his situation is as the
owner/lessee in my opinion, and one that they will most likely attempt to
exploit if it becomes available.  They’ve already made it clear they don’t want
to leave, so this would just bolster their attitude that they now have the
upper hand.

As someone professionally trained as a negotiator, I can tell you that your
position as Kaleb at this point holds little weight, as they have the upper
hand with an attorney in play.  He pushed them, they reacted, probably
overreacted, but now the line has been crossed and they are most likely all in,
especially since their attorney has probably counseled them to either not talk
to Kaleb or to let him know if they’re approached.  Most attorneys aren’t going
to take cases they expect to lose, especially if they don’t think the clients
are capable of paying the bill.

I’m not an attorney nor do I practice law, but in my opinion the best way to
deal with it at this point in the process is to lawyer up and take the gloves
off.  Otherwise they’re going to hand Kaleb and Regina their collective asses
in court.  The point to be making nice has long since passed.

Dan