Back when American tool companies made stuff in USA, I always preferred Lufkin
tapes to Stanley Powerlock. The rocker switch lock on the Lufkin didn't make the
blade creep back 1/8", and the Lufkin had a rubber bumper pad where the blade
hook hit upon retracting.
The ones I bought in the 1980s looked like this:
http://www.lufkintool.com/tapes/tape-measures/lufkin-hv420-1-x-20-hi-viz-r-orange-power-return-tape-measure.html

Lufkin now has 1 3/16" tapes, stand erect to 10' instead of 7', but I can see
where that English tape has some advantages too:
http://www.lufkintool.com/tapes/tape-measures/lufkin-xl8525d-1-3-16-x-25-power-return-tape-measure-engineers-orange-case-cushion-grip.html