Thanks that is all good info regarding rebuilt motors.

Apparently it stopped firing on all 5 at 277k. When opened to investigate,
the connecting rod was 3/16 short, so I'm guessing it had a head gasket
leak and hydrolocked or something. Anyway the top and bottom were rebuilt
at a reputable shop as were the pump and turbo and transmission with all
Mercedes parts.

I'm not sure I buy the "Mercedes crate motor" magic stuff. Any diesel truck
engine rebuilder is going to be pretty competent at that, and there are
plenty of other diesel motors out there doing comparable hours between
rebuilds.

Injection pumps: there is a bosch rebuilt 603 pump on my 606 right now, and
it works very well.

I certainly value my 123 more with a rebuilt head and new transmission.
Even if people think it should have gone farther than 200k before doing
that work, it is now at least 200k miles further from needing it again.
Maybe 400k, like you guys say. But maybe that feeling is also just a
function of having written the checks, and in any event it is farther than
I am likely to ever drive it.