Anyone building drag engines for serious competition is more than capable
of rebuilding a continental or Lycoming or what have you. My cousin is a
truck dealer and rebuilds airplanes and races cars also. There is no magic
to rebuilding any of those motors.

There are specifications of course. If the machinist chooses not to follow
them, then of course there could be problems.

I called Mike yesterday at metric about this issue. He said there are a few
tricks that you learn over time that might make a Mercedes-specific build a
bit better, but that if a shop reads the specs and follows them, and they
are used to working on diesels, they would be able to do as good a good job
on a mercedes as on any other engine. He also said that if the engine has
10,000 miles on it after the rebuild, there is nothing seriously wrong with
it.

FWIW,
Karl

On Aug 10, 2016 11:21 AM, "fmiser via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> Karl wrote:
>
> All the technical measurement stuff you are talking about is
> standard practice.

A 12L or 14L big truck engine is really not very similar to the
OM617.  Just because someone is really good at overhauling and
rebuilding a Cummins, Detroit, or Caterpillar engine does not mean
they will do well with the Mercedes.

They might - but it's a bit like asking a drag racing mechanic to
rebuild the Continental airplane engine.  They are both gasoline
engines, can't be _that_ different - right?