There won't be much use for SAE tools in 10 years or so, except among antiquers. The car mfgrs and tractor mfgrs are all metric. John Deere started going metric maybe 30 yrs ago. Our 1974 new tractor was mostly metric except for the tires and wheels. Other than JD, all tractors are made in Yurp or asia. Even the fram stores have metric bolt displays nearly as big as the SAE bolt displays.

Imperial Gal = 160 FL oz = 4 imperial Qt (40 Fl oz) = 5 US Qts (32 FL Oz.) All stuff I know off the top of my head.

I am old enough I think in oz, gal, CC and Liters, and also in Inches to miles and from mm to kliks and can easily convert back and forth.

I Refuse to use newton-meter as it make NO sense, but I am comfortable with Ft-lb or M-kg.

Cycles are still cycles, and don't Hert unless you are well grounded and amperage is high. øhertz

Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM

I am old enough to think in inches and miles and pounds etc but my children were educated in a metric world and they think centimeters and meters for the most part. I have arrived at a state where temperature makes sense to me in metric now. For a long while I converted but I now know that 20 is ok and 30 is hot etc.

I still convert to miles per gallon to figure out how well my vehicle is doing but of course I am thinking imperial gallons vs us gallons so it would make little sense to you anyway.

A bit of a pain to have both sets of wrenches but it is just another excuse to buy more tools and a bigger toolbox.

RB