A friend of mine, a fairly rabid librull, got his PhD in Bidness, and related to me some research a friend of his had been doing regarding gummint subsidies for all the processed foods, and was fairly appalled at how much subsidies there were, and the result of making that crap food so cheap and the people who consume it so obese, and the medical consequences of it that would also be paid by the gummint on Medicare and such.

I asked him where a lot of those subsidies originated, who got them, who benefited, etc. (not really knowing the answer but guessing) and he got all contorted up trying to explain it away.

If you ever have occasion to be in a grocery line behind someone paying with EBT or stamps, look at what they are buying.

--FT