      From: Donald Snook via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Donald Snook <d...@snooklawllc.com>
 Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:39 PM
 Subject: [MBZ] How much do we really care about MPG?

I have liked the Jeep Grand Wagoneer ever since I was kid.  Maybe it was
because we could never afford one or it could just be because I like the looks
of them.  I was thinking about trying to find one to buy.  The prices on them
are outrageous - but that is another subject.  One thing I was considering was
how bad the gas mileage is for them.  They get about 11-12 mpg.  With cars
routinely getting 20-35 mpg (or more) anything that gets 11 or 12 sounds truly
awful.  Of course, when gas was $1.25 a gallon people didn't care that much.
And gas is still relatively cheap when compared to the price increases in other
things (food, housing, medical costs, etc).  I started thinking about whether
we (as Americans) are really concerned about gas mileage.  I have seen lots of
anecdotal evidence (and a few actual studies) that show selling a car or
trading in a car to get a newer car only to increase gas mileage doesn't really
make economic sense when you consider all the factors.  Of course, if your
primary concern is fuel mileage than it does make sense.

I did the math and my current car (2001 BMW 740iL) costs me approximately $1900
a year in gas (premium unleaded). If I bought a Grand Wagoneer, which would be
widely regarded as a gas hog, the cost for the same 15,000 miles of driving
would be approximately $2500.  So, for about $50 extra a month I can drive a
gas guzzler Grand Wagoneer.  Therefore, the question is does it really bother
me to buy one extra tank of gas per month?  Probably not.    This surprised me
because when I first considered a Wagoneer my immediate reaction was the gas
mileage would really hurt and I thought it would be a real burden.  But, its
really one extra tank a month - who cares.  And my own attitude has me a little
concerned.  Shouldn't I care more?

I suppose if I was driving a car that averaged 30 mpg, then I would be spending
about $1000 a year and multiplying my fuel cost by 2.5 times probably would be
noticeable and painful.

I don't know if this is just food for thought or my own rambling thoughts that
may or may not be relevant.

Don Snook