If you're trying to suggest pickups are cheap then try again. They easily price
into the stratosphere, to get seating for 4 you're already over the price of a
Prius...
-Curt

      From: Curley McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curley McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:09 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] How much do we really care about MPG?

That is exactly why po' folks who seldom leave the county or say a 30
mile radius, drove the big ol boats of the 70s and 80s for decades.  the
cheapness of buying the car offset the loss in fuel consumption.  When
we were driving over 60 miles a day, 6-7 days a week, the wabbit dissel,
and later the Quantum, and Escort Dissels made sense.  I could justify
the cost of a new escort on fuel savings alone over the 17 MPG Plymie
Valiant.

A $500 boat nobody wants vs a $5000 car buys a lot of fuel on a modest
number of  miles/year.  The trick is to find a boat in good shape for $500.

Merkun ppl have figgered this out, as most new vehicles sold are pickups
and SUVs that are NOT miserly.  Back in 1975, you could not give away a
peecup or a suburban, or even the big bronco/rumchugger/whatever the GM
versions were called.  Caddys were cheap, as were linkuns and the big
crypslers.