I have an old black friend who was an agitator back in the 60s and still is somewhat. In one discussion he was going on about why black people drive old CVs and Cadillacs and such -- because they're cheepcheep -- but then have to pay a lot for gas (not so much these days, but relatively) since they generally get lower gas mileage than newer cars. So he viewed this as another way that black people cannot take part in societal progress, and are penalized for being poor and driving cheepcheep old cars.

I tend not to argue with him about things, but just kinda take in his views on issues, some of which are quite perspicacious given his history. He is a Korean War veteran, got shot over there at Christmas, which always affects his enjoyment of the holiday. He came back home after getting shot and recovering, was trying to get home from Columbia SC, wearing his uniform, and a bunch of dumbass crackers told him he couldn't ride the bus. At that time he could not talk back to them or they probably would have finished what he almost got in Korea. He waited a couple hours for a later bus and managed to get on that after the crackers left on the other one. This sort of thing, among others, informs his views.

--FT