Dunno. I never could figger that out. When there is a big blizzard predicted, people go out and buy vanloads of TP. It must be built into the female psyche somehow. If there is a weather threat, buy all the TP you can.

One possible explanation might be related to the 70s. After the oel companies successfully created a "oel shortage" and managed to almost double the price of Benzin, the paper companies decided to create a TP shortage. Like trained lemmings, as soon as they announced that TP might be in short supply, people went out and cleared the shelves of TP. That was the first time I remember hoarding TP. Before that, the snears catalog or a corn cob worked.

Ever since that time, the lemmings will go out and buy 5-10 years worth of TP at any major storm prediction. I have no idea what they do with all of it.
Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM

What's with the TP?
I buy twelve packs of "mega rolls" (supposedly equal to 48 normal rolls).
When I'm down to half a pack I start looking for a sale. If I'm afraid the roads
will be closed for a week, I make sure I've got a week's worth of food and
generator gas for the furnace/refrigerator/well pump.

Mitch.