NO partisan here.

As one of the people who is responsible for the security of the employees and
systems of a medium-sized county government, I am amazed at how poorly
organizations like the DNC and RNC handle their IT security.  The RNC got hit,
too, but they didn’t go for it.

Despite the hundreds of thousands of dollars we have invested in hardware and
software to protect our systems, the human element is always going to be the
biggest weakness in the organization.  We spend thousands of dollars and hours
every year educating our employees about phishing and other means of
infiltration.  Our onboarding classes have a dedicated section on these
subjects, and just this alone has made a significant difference in the number
of successful attempts at gaining access or compromising our systems.

Don’t trust.  Anyone or anything.  When in doubt, throw it out.  Not sure?
Delete it.

Since we’ve focused more on the human element, our issues have dropped
significantly. We interface with DHS almost daily, talk to other government
resources and monitor feeds that come in 24/7 with data from various three
letter organizations as things develop, but the most bang for our buck has been
training our employees to be diligent.

Dan