Heck I met with the FBI once, the agent suggested I check up on him by googling
the FBI website and calling the field office before we did anything...

Curt

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Greg Fiorentino via
Mercedes<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:   I'm pretty sure all of you on this
list would not have made the mistake Podesta made. What I do is NEVER click on
the helpful (?) email link provided in the email warning me of the problem, but
go to the company's website that I know to be ok, or call the number on the
back of my credit card, and look for the alleged problem there.

Similarly, when the IT person was suspicious of the alleged FBI agent calling,
he could have done something similar and called the bureau through known safe
numbers and asked to be directed to the agent. I have done similar in my law
enforcement career when contacted by the bureau, other government agencies, or
in one instance Interpol, and had any reservations about their bona-fides.

Trust but verify...or better, don't trust. Phishing and social engineering can
be very effective.

Greg