Bummer.

Thanks!
Kyle

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

Rear wheel bearings are a big job, fronts are simple.
Good used is your best bet, inspect the boot carefully, if its not torn
it'll last thousands of miles. A "quality" rebuilt is a difficult quantity,
what did they rebuild? I bet most of them are just a new boot and new
grease or new boot, new balls, new grease...
-Curt

      From: Kyle Arola via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Kyle Arola <kylearola1...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:02 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Best Axle Choice

The boots are fine.

It is the CV joint where it enters the hub that is going bad.  Knocking on
left turns at speed currently from the right rear wheel area.  It is fairly
easy to check the joint and I have done so and it needs a new one.  I did
pull the wheel off and checked the bearings and such and they appear fine,
tho I will most likely replace them as well just to be safe.  It is the CV
joint.  For sure.

Since this is my daily driver I am not interested in putting crappy parts
on it.  I will get with a quality rebuilder and have a set done for me.

Thanks!

Kyle

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 8:36 AM, tyee165 via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com
wrote:
Isn't there a replacement boot Available? I recall a special tool to
stretch it.

Sent from my Galaxy TabĀ® A
-------- Original message --------From: Meade Dillon via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> Date: 2017-01-13  6:50 AM  (GMT-06:00) To:
Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com> Cc: Meade Dillon <
dillonm...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [MBZ] Best Axle Choice
Can you describe the knocking?  The classic failing-axle-knock can be
varied by weaving back and forth at highway speed (assuming this is a
steady noise, not intermittent).  When you weave to the right the car is
the left side axle is going bad, so that would be the axle to change.

If you simply are getting a knock due to irregularities in the road
surface, that probably isn't the axle.

I would always get a good used original axle over a "new" or rebuild,
unless it was from the MB dealer.  Everything else has a pretty crappy
reputation.  As long as the boots don't fail, the original axles usually
last hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Max
Charleston SC

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Kyle Arola via Mercedes <