If I remember you are supposed to put the new axle in with the original shim and there should be no visible play but the clip should just be able to be turned in the groove. If there is play then you have to measure it and get a new spacer of the correct size. The problem is that MB doesn't have all of the original sizes. The last time I tried to get the whole range of sizes The parts guy told me there was only one size available. So practically just put it together with the shim you have and be done with it and that's according to a dealer mechanic that originally learned from the MB school on the 123 models back in the day when they were new. For what that's worth.

Manfred

Kyle Arola via Mercedes wrote:
Yeah that part is important. I will be doing one side at a time so not to
swap shims side to side. Don't they have to do with differential/axle
spacing and sized for specific sides?

Thanks!