Owning a 97 model of this car I can assure you that it's quite easy to work on
once the air cleaner is removed.

Having the exact same engine setup in two W140 chassis cars, I can also attest
to the ease of servicing with the R129 (SL500) versus the W140s. Since the
convertible sits closer to the ground you're not leaning over nearly as much as
you have to with the W140s.

There is plenty of room on both sides of the engine in the convertible as well.
While I haven't had the need yet, I can see where the engine mounts on the
convertible are far more accessible than on the W140 chassis cars.

-D

Sent from my iPad