Car was a beater, sort of.

The body wasn't bad and as stated previously all the known issues were
addressed, such as evapectomy, delivery valve O rings and washers, wiring
harness, etc.

What put me off were the "repairs" that had been done to the car. Lots of short
cuts, stuff eliminated and bypassed, etc. it would have been a major
undertaking to get everything right again, and that's if the components
involved, like the PB unit, were still functional.

 For example, the AC had a wire run directly to the compressor clutch. That is,
it ran 100% of the time, which explained why the expansion valve appeared to be
frozen. And this was on a 66F day.  Lights and signals worked, but no hazards.
Things like the fuel heater and windshield washer heater all bypassed. Messy.

Interior was actually pretty nice, with the wood being cracked and a little bit
of headliner droop starting to show. The upholstery, which was a really dark
tan like tobacco (color code 174, whatever that is) was in really good shape.

I might have considered it at $1000, knowing it would take another grand to
make it safe and fully functional, but there's no way I would pay his $1900
asking price.

I'll see if he comes back to me on it as I expect he will. He won't like my
response and will probably blow me off. However, if I could get it for $1000 I
would do it.

I was amazed at the performance of the car despite not being turbocharged.
That's still a pretty spritely ride considering it's normally aspirated.  It
drove well and was almost as good as a gas W124, I thought.

Dan

Sent from my iPad