You may recall my abortive attempt last year to update to a new version
of CentOS so I can run current versions of browsers. I just could not get
Gnome 3 to work like Gnome 2 I have been using for years.

I found some interesting comments about this situation at

http://www.osnews.com/story/27160/What_s_Happening_with_User_Interfaces_

It has an introduction to the situation, mentioning Windows 8 and other
things and then says, among other things,

    GNOME 3 with the GNOME Shell

    When it was introduced in spring 2011, GNOME 3 abandoned the
    traditional desktop design of GNOME 2 in favor of the new GNOME Shell.
    The GNOME shell is superficially somewhat similar to Unity (though the
    two are diverging over time). Both present a new style of desktop
    interaction influenced by mobile devices. As with Unity, some liked
    the new GNOME desktop paradigm, but others didn't and it caused quite
    a controversy. Linus Torvalds famously criticized it and switched
    from GNOME 3 and its shell to Xfce. Then, as the product rapidly
    improved, he went back to GNOME. Tons of extensions and packages like
    the GNOME Tweak Tool smoothed the way. Computers that couldn't boot
    GNOME 3's new graphics ran a Fallback mode that was reminiscent of
    GNOME 2.

    GNOME 3.8 was announced in May. It includes a new Classic mode "...for
    those who prefer a more traditional desktop experience." Classic mode
    replaces Fallback mode. Through Classic mode, the GNOME team addresses
    those who dislike its new interface. The goal is to continue with the
    new desktop while keeping users who want a traditional system in the
    fold. My guess is that most will judge GNOME on the basis of its
    enhanced version 3 design, which today many like. Those who want a
    traditional UI have probably already left the GNOME Shell for
    alternatives. In any case, the GNOME project remains vitally important
    to the free software movement in its support of many dozen tools and
    applications.

Maybe I should follow the comment, "Those who want a traditional UI have
probably already left the GNOME Shell for alternatives."

The article also says,

    Xfce, LXDE, and MATE

    With the drastic changes in some UIs, interfaces that have remained
    true to the traditional desktop metaphor have gained in popularity.
    Xfce, LXDE, and MATE innovate within the context of this
    long-established paradigm. Xfce is well polished and much faster than
    when I first tried it with Xubuntu several years ago. Today it really
    flies on my Mint systems. You can customize it by adding icons to its
    desktop or quick launch panel as easily as you can in Windows. LXDE
    features a highly-modular design with independent, plug-and-play
    components. Together with its fast apps, LXDE has become the
    lightweight default interface for several distros including Knoppix,
    Lubuntu, and Raspbian. MATE continues the GNOME 2 heritage and
    incrementally improves it with new features and themes. Several
    distros have adopted MATE instead of GNOME 3.

    Xfce, LXDE, and MATE will run on mature computers. The newer UIs
    require state-of-the-art graphics hardware. These include current
    releases of GNOME (with 3.8's elimination of Fallback mode), Ubuntu
    (with 12.10's dropping of Unity 2D), and Cinnamon (which requires 3D
    acceleration).

So, it sounds like MATE might be a possibility ...

Craig