All reasons why I have not been comfortable moving to linux. Lots of monkeying around under the hood in a language I don't know, and have little interest in learning.

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM
You may recall my abortive attempt last year to update to a new version
of CentOS so I can run current versions of browsers. I just could not get
Gnome 3 to work like Gnome 2 I have been using for years.

I found some interesting comments about this situation at

http://www.osnews.com/story/27160/What_s_Happening_with_User_Interfaces_

It has an introduction to the situation, mentioning Windows 8 and other
things and then says, among other things,

GNOME 3 with the GNOME Shell

When it was introduced in spring 2011, GNOME 3 abandoned the
traditional desktop design of GNOME 2 in favor of the new GNOME Shell.
The GNOME shell is superficially somewhat similar to Unity (though the
two are diverging over time). Both present a new style of desktop
interaction influenced by mobile devices. As with Unity, some liked
the new GNOME desktop paradigm, but others didn't and it caused quite
a controversy. Linus Torvalds famously criticized it and switched
from GNOME 3 and its shell to Xfce. Then, as the product rapidly
improved, he went back to GNOME. Tons of extensions and packages like
the GNOME Tweak Tool smoothed the way. Computers that couldn't boot
GNOME 3's new graphics ran a Fallback mode that was reminiscent of
GNOME 2.

GNOME 3.8 was announced in May. It includes a new Classic mode "...for
those who prefer a more traditional desktop experience." Classic mode
replaces Fallback mode. Through Classic mode, the GNOME team addresses
those who dislike its new interface. The goal is to continue with the
new desktop while keeping users who want a traditional system in the
fold. My guess is that most will judge GNOME on the basis of its
enhanced version 3 design, which today many like. Those who want a
traditional UI have probably already left the GNOME Shell for
alternatives. In any case, the GNOME project remains vitally important
to the free software movement in its support of many dozen tools and
applications.

Maybe I should follow the comment, "Those who want a traditional UI have
probably already left the GNOME Shell for alternatives."

The article also says,

Xfce, LXDE, and MATE

With the drastic changes in some UIs, interfaces that have remained
true to the traditional desktop metaphor have gained in popularity.
Xfce, LXDE, and MATE innovate within the context of this
long-established paradigm. Xfce is well polished and much faster than
when I first tried it with Xubuntu several years ago. Today it really
flies on my Mint systems. You can customize it by adding icons to its
desktop or quick launch panel as easily as you can in Windows. LXDE
features a highly-modular design with independent, plug-and-play
components. Together with its fast apps, LXDE has become the
lightweight default interface for several distros including Knoppix,
Lubuntu, and Raspbian. MATE continues the GNOME 2 heritage and
incrementally improves it with new features and themes. Several
distros have adopted MATE instead of GNOME 3.

Xfce, LXDE, and MATE will run on mature computers. The newer UIs
require state-of-the-art graphics hardware. These include current
releases of GNOME (with 3.8's elimination of Fallback mode), Ubuntu
(with 12.10's dropping of Unity 2D), and Cinnamon (which requires 3D
acceleration).

So, it sounds like MATE might be a possibility ...

Craig