Curley McLain wrote:
> One reason might be that it was revealed several years ago that consumer
> reports was lying to us year after year about how wunnerful toadas were.
> Or maybe the runaway toadas that killed people.
> Or maybe the toadas that burned the occupants beyond recognition in a
> small accident.
>
> > http://www.dw.com/en/vw-dethrones-toyota-as-worlds-best-selling-carmaker/a-37324993
> > Gerry asks: Why?
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think I've finally got it figured out. We know that the Japanese are quite
different than us; a culture that reads and writes backwards should tell us
something you know; so when they try to do Western industrial things like build
cars, they often come out with bizarre products.
The Prius isn't really a car anymore than the original Beetle was really a car.
The Prius is just a computerized Japanese version of the old Beetle; a Beetle
on steroids, if you will. It's quick-steer, bounces around, and has a funny
sounding horn; just like the old Beetle.
The Prius will gradually fade away just like the old original Beetle faded
away, but while it's mildly popular with penny-pinchers, money-grubbers,
skinflints, earth warmers, and other strange people who care little about
safety; the Japanese will keep making it and selling it.

As is usual with my luck, two weeks after I bought a Prius because the price of
diesel was heading for $5.00 per gallon, the bottom dropped out of crude prices
and I was stuck with a tinny Japanese toy which was nevertheless reliable and
economical.
The result has been that I only drive the Prius around this small county at
night after they roll up the sidewalks, and drive one of the Mercedes during
the day when the locals and wild retirees try to destroy each other with their
pickup trucks and ancient Detroit iron. In those melees a little whatever-it-is
like the Prius can get caught in the crossfire. Several squished up Smarts have
been buried with the owner inside. One stingy Smart owner died with a smile on
his face because he was saving the cost of a casket.

It's a well accepted fact that the world periodically goes crazy. The Prius,
the Smart, and a president who greets nubile young women by grabbing them in
their nether regions, may be symptoms of it.

---